Thursday, December 22, 2011

Children of Narcissistic Parents---Empathic

After all of the various "hells" connected with their up-bring, children of narcissistic parent(s) are often very empathic. They have suffered so much under the dominance of a grandiose false self, self absorbed, emotionally unavailable narcissistic parent. Yet---Surprise--They are capable of understanding on a deep emotional level what another human being is suffering. They can put themselves in this individual's place. I have seen this so many times in emails, by direct contact, in their writings, etc. Many of these children were able to make a clear discernment of the true nature of the narcissistic parent. Some were fortunate to have access to the non-narcissistic mother or father who gave them the love and affection they needed and deserved. However, there are instances in which both parents were narcissists. This is truly remarkable and commendable. These children fought all the way to maintain their individuality, their capacity for compassion, the ability to see through the delusion of the narcissistic parent and the vow that they would not travel the narcissistic road. We take heart and hope in these living examples of kind, empathic, psychologically grounded human beings. To learn about the narcissistic personality in-depth, visit my website:thenarcissistinyourlife.com

Linda Martinez-Lewi, Ph.D.
Telephone Consultation: United States and International
Book: Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life
Email: lmlphd@thenarcissistinyourlife.com

1 comment:

  1. I fall under this category. When I look back and wonder how I was able to be so different I came up with one theory...my teachers. Although my attachment to my parents was unhealthy, I formed very loving and nurturing attachments with all of my teachers throughout my educational career. Even though my childhood has affected me in many ways, I was able to survive with some "normalcy" outside of the home because of the attachments I had.

    ReplyDelete